The Inter-Country Travel Grant is an opportunity for U.S. scholars currently on Fulbright programs in Europe to create connections with fellow Slovak scholars in their field upon invitation from a Slovak institution – university, cultural center, government or non-governmental organization for a maximum 5-day visit to Slovakia. The purpose of the visit can be lecturing, consulting, workshops, an evaluation/development project or other relevant outreach activity with wide impact. The Slovak institution is responsible for taking care of all practical arrangements related to the U.S. Fulbright scholar's visit to the host institution and in the host city. The Slovak institution is expected to arrange possible work space and necessary equipment, help the visiting Fulbright scholar make important local professional contacts, introduce the scholar to the host institution faculty members and staff and show them around the university.
1. Find an institution in Slovakia that you wish to visit. Please, see the list of Slovak HEIs. Please note that this list includes only universities in Slovakia.
2. Agree on the dates and details of your visit with the host institution, such as purpose and impact of the visit, day by day activities, and the local costs (accommodation, meals, and other resulting expenses, transportation from the airport/train station in Slovakia) and confirm the host institution interest.
3. Host institution submits a travel grant application to the Commission.
4. The U.S. Fulbright Scholar and host institution in Slovakia receive a joint letter from the Commission with the grant decision and details of the grant as well as other important information to help with their travel plans. (The message will be cc’ed to the Fulbright commission in the country where the U.S. scholar is currently residing as a Fulbright grantee, or to the US Embassy if a scholar is in a European country that does not have a Fulbright commission. This is simply to confirm that the respective host commission/Embassy have no objections to the travel.)
5. After the visit, complete the feedback form and send it to the Commission. Travel costs will be reimbursed either directly to you or to your host institution in Slovakia as agreed specifically in advance.
Please note that Inter-Country Travel recipient Fulbright grantees are not permitted to receive honoraria from the U.S. Government, inviting Commission, or sponsoring institution.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis from September to June. Please bear in mind that the whole process to arrange the visit and to obtain the Commission’s approval takes around six weeks.